Originally named White Shadows, Ina Chandor changed the name of the gardens to Chandor Gardens to honor her husband after his death. Douglas had been the dreamer, creator, and worker of this enchanting place. It was his passion.
Eleanor Roosevelt commissioned Chandor to paint Queen Elizabeth in 1952. She posed in Buckingham Palace for eight hours in one day and the painting was done. This portrait was a gift to the British Embassy in DC.
When Ina Chandor died in 1978, there were no heirs, so the property lay unattended for 20 years before a local couple brought it. They took on the tremendous task of restoring it. They eventually sold it to the city of Weatherford, Texas. Today it is under the management of the city parks division.
This small Golden Ball leadtree (Leucaena retusa) is in the parking lot. It’s in a good spot since they are very drought tolerant, can withstand reflected heat, and naturally grow on dry, rocky slopes. It is also somewhat protected from strong winds, which can snap the brittle trunk.
“The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep.” Edgar Watson Howe